Sunday, December 10, 2006

Books from my childhood.

There were several books when I were younger that used to make me very happy. I thought I would list them here.

Even now, thinking about them makes me smile.

The Hungry Caterpillar







I think that everybody has read this book; I can’t even really remember what it was about now. Except a caterpillar that was hungry. I have very vivid memories of loving this book though.


Beaver
Towers








Remember when at the end of the day, your teacher used to read you a story? All the curtains would be closed and you’d all sit on the floor cross legged. This is what Beaver Towers reminds me of. As for the actual story, I remember a boy on a kite flying out of his window. That’s about it. I spent about 5 years trying to remember the title of this book.

The Hobbit









I think everybody should have read this if they did not read it as a child. I did not read Lord of the Rings till in my early teens and even then it was a challenge. I have since read The Hobbit and LOTR’s about 5 times each. I remember loving the character of Gandalf straight away; I have always liked the idea of wizened old wizards with personality, shame that it is a stereotype now. The dragon was a very good character too, guarding his stolen treasure jealously. This book might be the reason I started reading seriously as I grew older.


Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone







Okay so I read this when I was about twelve, but I have really fallen in love with this series. I cannot wait for the seventh book to come out. This series of books has to be my favourite so far, apart from maybe Orson Scott Card’s Ender series.

1 comment:

Rosalind said...

i LOVE the hungry caterpillar. i nearly bought the colouring in version last week when mooching around waterstones deciding what to waste some book vouchers on.
alas, i did not have enough in voucher money and had to do without.